Arroz con Gandules the Right Way!
Let’s face it fellow Boricuas, I love Arroz con Gandules, but I love the ham pieces more! Whether it’s in my beans or my pasteles, I love to find those little treasure pieces of ham that my mom would add. Well, now that I am all grown up, and I make my own Arroz con Gandules, I make it MY way!
- 2 tsp of EVOO
- 1 Smithfield Center Cut Ham Steak, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Goya Recaito
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 15oz can Goya Green Pigeon Peas, undrained
- 1 packet Sazon Goya con Culantro y Achiote
- 1/2 cup Goya Tomato Sauce con Cebolla, Ajo, y Cilantro
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups rice
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, or how we call it in Puerto Rico a cazuela over medium heat.
- Add the chopped ham steak, until browned.
- Add the Recaito and minced garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; cover.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Do not stir rice until it is ready. This will prevent the rice from cooking thoroughly.